|14 Oct 2021|
|News from Past Pupils|
Patrick Joseph O’Dwyer (Pat) was a boarder at Blackrock College from 1937-39, previously having been a day pupil in Synge Street. Pat was a member of the Blackrock Senior Hurling Team. His year were known as the “Founders of the Castle” being the first boarders to live in the Castle itself, where they were allowed more independence and leeway than their juniors. This ‘measure of controlled freedom’ was introduced by the President of the College, Dr John Charles McQuaid, who felt this year should be a preparation for the wider world; all classes were held there and the students could study in their own rooms without any supervision, there was even a smoking room where playing Bridge became popular.
Pat’s brother Henry (Harry) deceased but from Class of 1946, was also a boarder in ‘Rock in the 1940s and played full back on the SCT.
He studied medicine at UCD and qualified as a doctor in 1945. He was awarded the Bellingham Gold Medal at St. Vincents Hospital and worked as GP in Dublin for 15 years before moving to Mountrath, County Laois, where he continued in general practice for another 30 years.
Pat’s sons were also boarders at Blackrock: Paddy (65-71), Robert (66-72), John (67-72), Gearoid (79-84) and Turlough (84-90). Paddy followed in his father’s footsteps and recently retired having also served as a GP in Mountrath for many years.